Game Week: at Iowa
NEBRASKA at IOWA
NOV. 25, 2022 | MEMORIAL STADIUM
IOWA CITY, IOWA | 3 PM (CT)
TV - BTN (Brandon Gaudin, Jake Butt, Rick Pizzo)
RADIO NETWORK - Huskers Radio Network (Greg Sharpe, Damon Benning, Jessica Coody)
INTERNET RADIO - Huskers.com
APP AUDIO - Official Huskers App
Record: 3-8, 2-6 B1G
Last Game: vs. Wisconsin (L, 15-14)
Coach: Mickey Joseph
Career/NU Record: 15-13 (3rd Year)/2-6 (1st Year)
vs. Iowa: First Meeting
Record: 7-4, 5-3 B1G
Last Game: at Minnesota (W, 13-10)
Coach: Kirk Ferentz
Career/Iowa Record: 187-135 (27th Year)/185-114 (24th Year)
All-Time Series: Nebraska leads, 29-20-3
In Iowa City: Nebraska leads, 10-9
As Big Ten Foes: Iowa leads, 8-3
Last Game: Iowa, 28-21 (11/26/21) (in Lincoln)
Win Streak: Iowa, 7 games
Nebraska completes its 2022 season on Friday when the Huskers square off against Iowa in the schools' annual Black Friday clash. Game time at Iowa's Kinnick Stadium is set for shortly after 3 p.m. with television coverage on BTN.
Nebraska heads into the contest with a 3-8 overall record and a 2-6 mark in Big Ten play. The Huskers suffered another close setback on Saturday, when Wisconsin escaped Lincoln with a 15-14 victory. Nebraska held a 14-3 edge heading into the final quarter, but the Badgers engineered two fourth-quarter touchdown drives for the victory. The loss marked Nebraska's fifth loss this season by seven or fewer points, including four in Big Ten play.
Iowa comes into the contest playing its best football of the 2022 season. The Hawkeyes have won four straight games to put themselves into position for a second straight Big Ten West Division crown and a trip to the Big Ten Championship game. Iowa stands at 7-4 overall and 5-3 in Big Ten play, and a victory on Friday will clinch the Hawkeyes a spot in the conference title game in Indianapolis on Dec. 3.
Iowa is paced by one of the nation's top defenses, allowing just 13.5 points and 273.3 yards per game. The Hawkeye defense has held nine of 11 opponents to 13 or fewer points this season, while scoring four defensive touchdowns.
The teams will battle for the Heroes Trophy for the 12th consecutive season on Friday afternoon. Iowa has won the past seven meetings in the series. The games in recent seasons have been close, with the Hawkeyes winning by a touchdown or less each of the past four years.
Series History: Nebraska vs. Iowa
Friday's game will mark the 53rd all-time meeting between the two schools and the 12th matchup as Big Ten Conference opponents. Nebraska holds a 29-20-3 lead in the all-time series, while Iowa holds an 8-3 advantage since Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011. The Hawkeyes have won the past seven meetings dating back to a 2014 Husker win at Kinnick Stadium.
• Each of the past four meetings in the series have been decided by seven or fewer points. Iowa kicked game-winning field goals in the final five seconds in back-to-back seasons in 2018 and 2019, and rallied from a 15-point deficit in the second half last year in Lincoln.
• The road team has won seven of the past 10 meetings in the series, including NU wins in Iowa City in 2012 and 2014.
• The schools met 35 times before 1946, but played just six times between 1946 and 2011 when the Huskers joined the Big Ten. Nebraska was ranked in the top seven nationally in each of those six meetings and had a 5-1 record in those matchups.
Nebraska, Iowa to Battle for Heroes Trophy
Nebraska and Iowa will battle for the Heroes Trophy when they hit the field Friday at Kinnick Stadium. The Heroes Game is the annual trophy game between Nebraska and Iowa. The game is sponsored by Scheels.
• While both teams aim to win the trophy on the field, both Nebraska and Iowa wished to make their annual meeting about more than just a football game. With that in mind, the schools partnered to not only create a trophy, but to use their stage to honor a citizen hero from each state. In addition to the trophy claimed by the winner of the game, both an Iowa and Nebraska native will be honored for extraordinary acts. Those individuals will be announced later this week.
Big Red on Black Friday
Nebraska will continue its long-standing tradition of playing on the day after Thanksgiving. This Friday's game with Iowa will mark the 33rd consecutive season the Huskers have played on Black Friday.
• Nebraska met Oklahoma in the final six seasons of the Big Eight Conference (1990 to 1995), then played Colorado in all 15 of the Huskers' Big 12 Conference years (1996 to 2010), before taking on Iowa each of the 12 seasons it has been a Big Ten member, including this year.
• Nebraska is 9-6 on the road in Black Friday games since 1990, including 2-3 at Iowa.
• In addition to playing Iowa on Black Friday the past 11 seasons, Nebraska and Iowa also closed the regular season against each other nine times from 1892 to 1916.
This Week's Numbers
56 - Senior edge rusher Caleb Tannor will play in his 56th game at Nebraska on Friday. He is set to tie the school record for games played held by Cameron Meredith (2008-12). Tannor has played in every game since arriving on campus in 2018.
33 - Nebraska is playing on Black Friday for the 33rd consecutive season dating back to 1990. The Huskers have met Iowa on Thanksgiving Friday the past 12 seasons, and played Colorado (1996-2010) and Oklahoma (1990-95) prior to that.
7 - The Nebraska-Iowa matchup has been decided by seven or fewer points each of the past four seasons. Iowa posted three-point wins on back-to-back last second field goals in 2018 and 2019, and has won by six and seven points, respectively, the past two seasons.